Friday, January 29, 2010

The Rustic Cavalier

A huge rat hid in the woodpile behind Billy’s house,

Also magenta hued worms, multi-limbed insects, and an occasional slimy snail with petite ears

Mornings Billy and I flipped over the weathered wooden planks to wake everybody

Speculating on where the little creatures came from,

what they ate, and what they might be thinking

Transported us to enchanted ventures,

On a schooner sailing the oceans, a long shiny limousine driving to posh resorts, an airplane playing tag with the clouds

Billy had a ‘specimen cart’

On collection days we chatted about matters of moment

Where the clouds came from and their ever changing shapes and colors

and how robins knew where the worms were

Billy said I could learn about life just by watching wild things,

How they took everything in stride, just as it came, and never acted out of spite

I was six and Billy was sixty

He wasn’t very tall

He didn’t shave very often and bathed even less

He always wore a floppy old brown hat and held up his pants with a rope

My mother said he was a rustic cavalier,

But she wished I wouldn’t go on so many jaunts with him

The more charitable of our neighbors referred to him as the town eccentric

Others called him an old bum

I adored him

He taught me to spit farther than anyone else

He lit up my imagination like a Roman candle

He introduced me to philosophical musings

He drew me into the art of true conversation

He listened to me

Endnote: Revised on 2/17/10. Dedicated in loving memory to my rustic cavalier, Billy Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment