Sunday, November 22, 2009

King of the Road 11/22/09

An octogenarian vagabond, my father

Traversing the North American continent alone in both directions

His steed is his automobile

No itinerary, no motel reservations, no calls home

His joyful Whitmanesqe spirit

Relishing life as he enthusiastically sings to her

Yes, yes, I am the King of the Road!


Endnote: This poem is dedicated to the memory of my father, a true King of the Road, and to my favorite niece, Karen, who loved her Pom. His journey reminds me of this verse from Goethe: Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.”

1 comment:

  1. I had a somewhat bumpy relationship with my father. He passed away nine years ago. Time has provided distance and perspective. I can now celebrate all the good special times. And, there were a number of them.

    Clare

    ReplyDelete