Friday, December 20, 2013

My Blue Angel


While looking  for the MRI unit on the large hospital directory,
a middle aged black man with grizzled beard and hair and
a smile as radiant as a summer's sunrise, 
asked if he could show me a shortcut.   
He had on a well worn housekeeping uniform and 
was pushing a large pail and mop.    
He led me down a dark passage and then up several steps.  
Directly facing  us was a large silver elevator with a 'to MRI' sign.  
He put his arm around me and said  gently 
"everything's going to be alright, you'll see."  
I gave him a hug and kissed his cheek.  
Then I saw a woman, obviously on chemotherapy, on her way up too.  
His blessing, though given to me, 
enfolded her more deeply still.
There have been a number of angels in my life. 
It's only now with the infirmities of age gathering round  that
I have the vision to recognize them.  

Note: dedicated to Jerry Dworkin, didgeridoo master and kindred spirit.  Given your recent successful renal transplant, you obviously know more angels then I, Jerry!  May the Lord continue to enfold you in His loving protective care and keep you safe.

2 comments:

  1. An angel indeed. May we all encounter one of our own when the need is great.

    Good luck and a happy new year, Clare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Friko,
    It's wonderful hearing from you. Thanks for your gracious comment.

    ReplyDelete